Meet Our Team
Airport Management & Operations
Airport Authority Board
- Coming Soon
- Coming Soon
The Jamestown Airport was originally built by the federal government for a military installation in 1942. Six hundred airmen were trained at Jamestown College in 1944 in conjunction with the airfield. Shortly after World War II, ownership of the airfield was transferred to the City of Jamestown. From 1944-1967 the airport was administered directly by the City of Jamestown. In 1967, the Jamestown Municipal Airport Authority (JMAA) was formed, and in 2007 the JMAA was replaced by the Jamestown Regional Airport Authority (JRAA) to include appointed members from both the City of Jamestown and Stutsman County.
In the summer of 2001, the JMAA renamed the airfield after one of Jamestown’s most prominent military leaders, Rear Admiral Don Weiss of the United State Navy. Rear Admiral Weiss was born in Grand Forks, ND, and he was raised and graduated high school in Jamestown, ND. He went on to graduate from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1968, entered flight training at NAS Pensacola and was designated a Naval Aviator in February of 1970 at Kingsville, Texas. Throughout his career he amassed over 5000 flight hours and 1100 carrier landings. His personal awards include the Defense Superior Service medal and the Meritorious Service medal. High School and went on to